Wednesday, November 6, 2013

FROM DIAPERS TO DINOSAURS



"I don't discriminate. I just think old people are dinosaurs."

"How so?"

"You're not going to fault me for being honest with my thoughts, are you?"

"Of course not. You're not old enough to know better."

"Funny."

"Can you answer my question?"

"Well ... most dinosaurs were plodding, not too bright and extinct. Just like where you're headed."

"Hmm. You do know I was one of you once ... right?"

"Well ..."

"And you'll get there too one day, right?"

"Well ... I can't relate to you people. Yes, you may have worn diapers once. Now you wear Depends!"

"We're not all incontinent, you know."

"Incontinent ... incontinent ... That's out of the United States, right? Somewhere in Europe ..?"

And so on. 


Look, at the end of the day ... we will all breathe a final breath. We are born into this world, we play, we work, we raise our families, we get old ... we die. 

For the majority of us, anyway, that's the cycle. 

It does appear, regardless of belief system, that we enter the world in much the same way - sperm fertilizes the egg, woman gives birth ...

It gets sort of murky from there. 

Do I agree with everything every youngster espouses? Do I agree with everything every senior espouses? 

In response to both, let me ask you this: 

"Do you?" 


Life is delicate. I cannot tolerate those who do not value it, yet I would like nothing more than to sit with them and attempt to educate them and ...

I know. Not always possible. I'm not as idealistic as I'm coming across. 

Like anything else, like any other endeavor, you as an individual have the power of choice. My thoughts on these matters are not the be all and end all. I am not the only senior in this world. 

However, as a senior - and being true to myself -  I believe I do have an inherent responsibility to leave a mark in this world. That mark, for me, is simply to educate others as to the most prudent methods to plan for a happy and productive old age, based on my continuing successes as well as my mistakes.  

I am reminded of the story of an older senior, who is presently speaking of his life's experiences throughout the mid-west. He was born the son of a prominent Nazi, and raised as a Hitler-youth. He elected to educate himself under the most difficult, most extreme of circumstances. As he became a young adult and raised a family of his own, he disavowed his father and converted to Judaism.

He has remained an observant Jew ever since.  

I am also reminded of a formerly notorious skinhead, who had tattooed his entire face with words and symbols representing his hatred. And then ... he had a child. Something clicked inside of him. He did not want his baby to be raised in hate as he had. He took the extraordinarily painful steps of removing the tattoos from his face, and disavowing his heritage. 

He and his family are now avid churchgoers. They are also constantly looking over their shoulders as former family members have placed death threats upon them. 

But he is staying true to his new self. And he is seeking the help of pastors and rabbis in an effort to learn how to live without the hate ...

The aforementioned examples are truly extreme. One of the greatest virtues and assets as a human being, to me, is family. I was close to my parents, have been married twice and raised beautiful children. 

Maybe I am one of the lucky ones. But I want to teach you how to be lucky as well. We will discuss the abject importance of a positive family system tomorrow. 

We will also discuss a very special book, written by a very special friend, about raising one's parents ...  

But, for now ... 

As I have a great deal (more) to say, I sincerely hope to capture an audience for my work. How can I market myself ... how can I get people to read my book ... how can I get young people to pay attention?

And that, my friends, is the point. 

Did you miss it? 

Here it is again: I'm 84 years old. I have very well-defined goals. These goals are based on my writing. 

I want my writing to inspire others. 

After all, life is a gift. Regardless of who you are. 

Life goes by quickly. We find this out as we get older. We should be honest with those younger than us and try our best to help guide them, to help them understand. 

And, lest that sounds patronizing ... we can learn a great deal from them as well. Why? Because, sometimes ... we forget how joyful the life process can be. 

Is it not the right thing, then, to strive for mutual understanding?
I think so. 

Tune in tomorrow, for ... A Family Affair ...


Bernard ("Bernie") Otis is the author of the upcoming international bestseller, "How To Prepare For Old Age (If You Haven't Married Into A Wealthy Family)". If you have a question or comment, please send me an email to seymour.otis@gmail.com.

1 comment:

  1. You're an 84 year old with a blog. Definitely not a dinosaur!

    ReplyDelete