Tuesday, March 18, 2014

THE GREATEST MYTH OF ALL


A man walks into a bar and sees a very attractive woman sitting by herself. He has a drink and leaves, but returns the next day and the woman is once again sitting alone.

This goes on for a number of days and he finally decides to go over and talk to her. They have nice conversation and then he asks her if she would like to go back to his apartment with him.

She declines his offer and says “I suppose that it sounds crazy in this day and age, but I am trying to keep myself pure until I find the man I really love.”

The man is surprised and he says to her “I am sure that must be very difficult”

She responds by saying “For me it is really not to hard, but it really has my husband very upset.

Something strange and wonderfully exciting has recently happened to me and I want to share it with all of you, my friends.

I woke up around 1:A.M. recently and could not get back to sleep, so I went to my computer, turned it on and was staring at a blank page. What was I doing there I thought. My mind was a complete blank and then, don’t ask me why I typed in the word Myth.

And then I started to think about my Book and all of those who had been advising me and guiding my efforts to write it and BOOM  it occurred to me that everyone was giving me credit for writing it, when in fact I could not have possible done it on my own.

30 minutes later – unbelievable as it sounds the following words appeared on the screen:

The Greatest Myth of All

(I did it on my own)

Of all the well known Myths that we hear spoken of so often
Is the one which is least true of all “I did it on my own”
There exists no one on the face of earth not a creature or a person
Who can with a straight face say “I got there all alone”.

Did not your Parents advise and even help to guide you get there?
Was not your family there to pick you up when you fell down?
And when you were lost and quite unsure
Were friends not there to be certain that you did not drown

What about the teachers along with your faith provide the knowledge and support
That made your success most likely to be more achievable
And did not the accountant, professionals and the attorney
Who were standing ready in the background make your story so believable?
As you took the mystery trip and went on this important journey

So please don’t try to fool the world about the things you have done
It may have been your idea; you most likely were the source
It is okay to boast and cheer yourself for having a successful run
But just between the two of us don’t forget all the others who helped you complete the course.

Like out of nowhere I had suddenly become Poet and have now written over 30 Poems which will be soon put into a separate Book and yes shared with you. I keep laughing about this new thing in my life.

We all have it within us to do new things, change our routine, bring out our inner skills and knowledge and share it with the world. But we must also not kid ourselves into believing that we have done it on our own.

Like out of nowhere I had suddenly become Poet and have now written over 30 Poems which will be soon put into a separate Book and yes shared with you. I keep laughing about this new thing in my life.


We all have it within us to do new things, change our routine, bring out our inner skills and knowledge and share it with the world. But we must also not kid ourselves into believing that we have done it on our own.


Bernard ("Bernie") Otis is the author of the upcoming international bestseller, "How To Prepare For Old Age (If You Haven't Married Into A Wealthy Family)". If you have a question or comment, or a personal story about life and aging, please send me an email to seymour.otis@gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment