Tuesday, December 10, 2013

I'M DYING. NOW WHAT?

Have I left enough for my family, or other loved one(s)?
Have I made a difference in this world?
Could I have done more?
Have I helped enough people?
Have I treated people well?

Have I had enough s--?



A 78-year-old man was having some problems and he went to the doctor. The doctor said he needed to get a sperm count and gave the man a jar to fill up, telling him to bring it back the next day. The next morning he returned the jar to the doctor and it was empty. The doctor asked what happened and the man said he had a terrible time and could not do anything.

He said he tried with his right hand and then his left. He called his wife to help and she tried with her left hand, her right hand and her mouth ... nothing. They called in the lady next door  - the doctor asked, “You did what?” - and the man said she tried with her left hand and then her right, but they could not get the jar opened.


Okay, okay. I couldn't resist!

And no, before you get nervous ... I'm not dying. Yet. Not really.

Doctor says I'm healthy as an ox.


But, just this morning, I had a conversation with a friend. This friend got me thinking.

He told me business is slow. He will need to start pulling from his retirement accounts to keep his business afloat.

He said his cost of living now exceeds $250,000 a year, including taking care of his two children.

My friend is 60 years old.

He worries about his wife. He worries if he planned - there goes that word again - well enough.

His greatest fear is: "I've saved money and have a good life insurance policy for my children. But I worry that they are not self-reliant. How do I know they will be capable of earning on their own once their inheritance runs out?"

And so it goes.


With apologies to Disney's "Beauty and the Beast," my friend's tale is "as old as time."

I write these blogs and keep pounding home the same point: Plan! PLAN!!

Understand, however, that planning in itself is a life-long process.


My friend is like me. He doesn't fear dying so much. And he still has goals, both professional and personal.


I still need to complete my book.

He still needs to get his affairs in order. Though, I admit, he is further along than most.

Planning needs to be part of your day. It's just like brushing your teeth, taking a shower.

Keep a journal. Or keep a log of some sort. Write down every way you planned, every day.

Remember, the sum total of all your efforts will cumulate into something wonderful, and necessary.

In that event, the seeds of your planning will bear fruit, that will protect your loved ones for generations to come.


In closing, keep setting goals as well. It may well help you live longer ... which will give you more time to plan.

Have I made myself clear?


Bernard ("Bernie") Otis is the author of the upcoming international bestseller, "How To Prepare For Old Age (If You Haven't Married Into A Wealthy Family)". If you have a question or comment, please send me an email to seymour.otis@gmail.com.



No comments:

Post a Comment