Tuesday, June 3, 2014

HOW PREPARED ARE YOU? A TALE OF TWO PROFESSIONALS.



I guess I'm in a humorous frame of mind this morning. Here's another ...

Three nurses died and went to heaven, where they were met at the Pearly Gates by St. Peter. 

To the first, he asked, "What did you do on Earth and why should you go to heaven?" 
"I was a nurse in an inner city hospital," she replied. "I worked to bring healing and peace to the poor, suffering city children." 

"Very noble," said St. Peter. "You may enter." And in through the Gates she went. 

To the next, he asked the same question, "So what did you do on Earth?" 

"I was a nurse at a missionary hospital in Africa," she replied. "For many years, I worked with a skeleton crew of doctors and nurses who tried to reach out to as many peoples and tribes with a hand of healing and with a message of God's love." 

"How touching," said St. Peter. "You too may enter." And in she went. 

He then came to the last nurse, to whom he asked, "So, what did you do back on Earth?" 

After some hesitation, she explained, "I was just a nurse at an H.M.O." 

St. Peter pondered this for a moment, and then said, "Okay, you may enter also." 

"Whew!" said the nurse. "For a moment there, I thought you weren't going to let me in." 

"Oh, you can come in," said St. Peter, "but you can only stay for three days..."

And, on that note ...

This is the story of two remarkable women, Noma Kaz and Sherry Litt, who work seven days a week and are dedicated to providing quality professional home health care services to their community.

They own and operate Lifeline Companion Services* in Southern California.

While I have made it a point not to commercialize my blog messages, this one must be told and I feel it important to provide real life examples of the point I am trying to make. 

After all, reality is essential in dealing with the subject of birth and death.

Similar services are available all over the country and I strongly urge my aging readers and their loved ones to immediately research the availability of qualified agencies like this in your geographical area.

Professionals like Noma and Sherry take time to know their patients, employ highly- skilled aids who can be trusted, and monitor what is happening in your home to be certain that you are receiving what you need, when you need it, and in a manner that gives you confidence that you are in the best hands.

They clearly understand the changes and challenges that home health care is undergoing, and the significant rise in costs that are effecting providers and users of such service. 

Their knowledge of licensing requirements, ethics, immigration laws, state and local healthcare laws and the importance of being able to properly communicate both with their clients and their families is part and parcel of the professionalism of such healthcare providers.

If you think that you can wait until the need arises for such services, you are making a huge mistake. Start early in life and continually update your information. If you think that all you have to do is pick up the phone to find such services you are wrong, and if you think that any cheap laborer can do the job you are again quite wrong.

I recall driving home from the hospital following Anna’s emergency surgery, and being told that she would need a home health care professional and wondering what to do. We were totally unprepared and did not even know what that meant. Fortunately, a close relative knew these wonderful woman and my problem was quickly resolved..

Regardless of where you live take action now – do not wait for the need to arise. Be prepared; it will be one of the best things you did.

While my upcoming book discusses this in detail, until it comes out and you wish to learn more about this issue, please send me an email at Seymour.Otis@gmail.com and I will send information to you.

*Please note that while I have no financial involvement in Lifeline Companion Services, I do act as a marketing advisor to them as a result of my experience during Anna’s illness and geographical location.

Bernard ("Bernie") Otis is the author of the upcoming international bestseller, "How To Prepare For Old Age (If You Haven't Married Into A Wealthy Family)". If you have a question or comment, or a personal story about life and aging, please send me an email to seymour.otis@gmail.com

And, please be sure to support my friend Lorrie Caplan Shern's work. Information about her book and blog can be found at www.givingbirthtomyparents.com, and her wonderful songs can be found on www.soundcloud.com. Her phone is 720-652-6655.


1 comment:

  1. This is a very important post, Bernie. Many spouses and children, already overcome with emotion associated with a loved ones' illness, find themselves floundering as if dropped in a foreign country where you don't speak the language and can't read the road signs. I was fortunate in that my parents lived in Wisconsin, a state that happens to have a great Dept of Aging with lots of great resources available, but not all are so lucky. Even with such help, the task is overwhelming. You're right... don't wait to check these services out until they're needed... options are limited!

    ReplyDelete